DRYDEN, Ont. (CP) - Police have laid additional weapons charges against a man who actively sought arrest so that he could challenge Canada's gun laws in court.
William Bruce Montague, 45, will face 23 additional firearm, explosive, and weapons charges when he appears in court Nov. 15. Police said they found a hidden room off the basement when they searched a home for a second time last month.
Inside were more than 100 firearms, 25,000 rounds of ammunition, and a number of prohibited devices, including over-capacity magazines, silencers, and a modified crossbow, police said.
Among the weapons was a semi-automatic assault-type rifle, an Uzi pistol submachine-gun, and two sawed-off shotguns.
Police said they also seized explosive-related materials, including electrical and non-electrical detonators, a detonator cord, and several manuals on making homemade explosives.
Montague, a gunsmith and an Ontario representative of the Canadian Unregistered Firearms Owners Association, is helping lead a court challenge against Bill C-68 - the federal gun control legislation that requires the country's gun owners to register their firearms.
He was released on bail from police custody Sept. 21 after being charged with six offences.
Montague, who has participated in rallies opposing the legislation, has said he was trying to get arrested, and was looking forward to taking the firearms charges against him to court.
"I was trying to get arrested the past 20 months," Montague said in an interview in late September.
"This is the first (firearms) charge with any meat on it. We're looking forward to taking it in front of a judge."
DISCLAIMER: BruceMontague.ca is maintained by friends and
supporters of Bruce Montague.
It is NOT an official mouth-piece for Bruce
Montague's legal defense.