Bruce Montague
Bill C-68 Court Challenge
CCF Takes Montague Case | News | Sign-Up for email-updates | donate Donate
Online
This Case Epilogue written February 1, 2017 is intended to provide context to this web site as it documents a Canadian constitutional challenge spanning from 2004 to 2016. Bruce Montague determined to expose the constitutional violations in the Canadian Firearms Act. After being charged, mounting a constitutional challenge and appealing to the Supreme Court of Canada, Montague's case was dismissed without reasons. With Bruce in jail, the Montagues then faced an another twist of injustice -- the confiscation of their home and property by the Ontario government. The Montagues fought the civil forfeiture of their home for years until, in the summer of 2016, the Canadian Constitution Foundation was instrumental in negotiating with the Ontario Civil Forfeiture department to drop the lien against the Montague home. The Canadian Constitution Foundation deserves our support as they continue to fight other cases of injustice around the country. YOU COULD BE NEXT! Canada is undergoing a quiet revolution and your fundamental rights and freedoms are at stake!
What's Wrong with Civil Forfeiture» | Write to Stop Civil Forfeiture»

About
YouTube
News Archive
Testimonials
Rationale
Quotes
Letters
Editorials
Audio/Video
Photos

Volunteer
Donate
Advertise
Write

Donors
Contact
Links
F.A.Q.
Search
Site Map

May23: Montague supports changes to gun registry

News Archive Index
Source: Kenora Daily Miner and News
Link: http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/...

By Dan Gauthier - Tuesday May 23, 2006

Not surprisingly, Dryden gunsmith Bruce Montague fully supports the Conservative government's changes to the federal firearms registry, but he is still uncertain how it will affect his pending charges for violating the Firearms Act.

Montague said Friday he does not yet know if the changes announced to the registry last week -- which include introducing a one-year amnesty for unlicensed owners of non-restricted firearms -- will have any effect on his case.

"I'm not exactly sure how the law works in that area," said Montague. Montague's lawyer Calvin Martin, from Toronto, said he too is unsure what these changes will mean and has since e-mailed the firearms centre in Ottawa to clarify what this may or not mean for his client.

The issue, said Martin, is whether the amnesty will apply to those who have never had a firearms licence, or if it will apply only to those who have let their possession licence lapse or expire.

If the amnesty does apply to Montague, Martin said it would affect a "big chunk" of his charges, in particular any offences dealing with non-restricted firearms.

"But I don't know if they are going to do that," said Martin.

Montague is facing 53 criminal charges for a variety of weapons-related offences including the unauthorized possession and careless storage of non-restricted firearms, explosives and some restricted firearms. He was arrested by the Ontario Provincial Police on Sept. 11, 2004 at a Dryden gun show.

His wife Donna is facing three charges: the unauthorized possession of a firearm and two counts of careless storage of a firearm.

Montague claims these charges, laid under the federal Firearms Act, are unconstitutional and filed a constitutional challenge with Ontario Superior Court on April 30. He has vowed to take his fight all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Regardless of what effects these recent changes to the firearms registry have on his case, Montague sees it as a positive sign from the new federal government for his plight.

"It shows that our government is siding with me, at least as far as the gun registry is concerned," said Montague. "So that's a step in the right direction."

Montague said it will be interesting to see if the Conservatives follow through with their election promise to repeal the firearms registry altogether. However, he said he is almost hoping they don't, at least until his constitutional challenge of the Firearms Act is heard.

He explained that his challenge seeks to have the courts likely the Supreme Court of Canada "strike" the law from the books for good.

"That will prevent any further governments from trying the same thing," said Montague.

He predicted if any of the other politically parties gain power in the next federal election, there is a "very strong possibility" the firearm registry would be re-introduced.

Montague said, at the very least, these changes will give his case some needed publicity and he hopes the public realizes just why he opposes the Firearms Act.

He said the ease in which the federal government can change possessing unregistered firearms a criminal act to not being a criminal act with a mere "stroke of a pen" should shed some light on what he feels is an unjust law for Canadians.

"I'm not actually getting off of any criminal activity in the way people would think of a criminal activity," said Montague, noting that no one was hurt and there were no victims in his 'crime'.

"They're all paperwork charges."

In any event, Montague's lawyer said a trial will be going forward on all, or some, of his charges. In particular, the charges for possessing restricted firearms and explosives will go to court.

A final pretrial hearing for Montague's case is set for June in a Thunder Bay court. A trial by jury has been tentatively scheduled to begin Sept. 25 in Kenora Superior Court.

Link: http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/...


back to top | search | home | site map
DISCLAIMER: BruceMontague.ca is maintained by friends and supporters of Bruce Montague.
It is NOT an official mouth-piece for Bruce Montague's legal defense.