Sept 11, 2007, by Christopher diArmani
While September 11th has many implications, here in Canada it means
something quite different for Dryden gunsmith Bruce Montague.
Bruce and Donna Montague's ordeal began September 11, 2004, when
Bruce was "taken down" by half a dozen Ontario Provincial Police
(OPP) Officers at Dryden's annual gun show. Daughter Katey, then
only 12 years old, was abandoned at the gun show by the OPP in order
to lure Donna Montague out of the family home. Upon her arrival at
the show she was asked to accompany officers to the Dryden OPP
detachment where she too was arrested.
It is now the third anniversary of their arrest and their
Constitutional Challenge of Canada's Firearms Act is finally set to
move forward on October 22, 2007 in Ontario Superior Court in
Kenora. Bruce and Donna Montague will finally have the opportunity
to prove the Firearms Act is unconstitutional.
Preparations for the trial have been increasing in intensity since
constitutional lawyer Doug Christie joined the case in March.
After meeting for two days with Doug Christie in Victoria this past
July, Bruce and the entire case management team have been busy
researching many aspects of the case, including court precedents
supporting Canadians' right to own firearms.
The constitutional trial is scheduled to last a week, but given the
Crown's endless jockeying for position the last time out, it's
anyone's guess whether five days will be enough.
Christie is confident that he has all the legal tools necessary to
fight this battle. While preparations continue to intensify as the
court date approaches, Bruce is glad this day is finally here.
"I've spent three long years trying to get here," he said from his
Dryden, Ontario home. "It will be good to get into court and put
this matter to rest, once and for all."
While her father is deluged with court arguments and historical
research, daughter Katey Montague, now fifteen, has been busy with a
project of her own. Katey decided two years ago to help her father
get exposure for the case by creating a series of films, the first of
which, "Katey's Firearms Facts", detailed numerous gaffes by the
government's licensing and gun registration system.
Since then she's created over a dozen more short films highlighting
the craziness of current laws and advocating for Canadians' right of
self-defense. Katey, taking advantage of new technology, has placed
all her videos on the video-sharing service "Youtube", and is looking
for other avenues to gain more exposure for her videos and her
father's landmark court case.
Katey Montague's videos can be viewed at
http://www.youtube.com/KateysFirearmsFacts and so far have garnered
over 140,000 views.
She isn't done, however. She has another or forty videos either shot
or planned, including a joint project slated for next year with US
gun rights advocate Oleg Volk, a professional photographer and the
creator of the "A Human Right" website ( http://www.a-human-right.com )
which goes into great detail on both sides of the argument, and
showcases Volk's photographic skill. Both Katey and Oleg are looking
forward to the joint effort, saying they will be able to learn a lot
from each other. No firm date is set for their co-production, but
Katey says it will likely be next summer, as her parents refuse to
allow her to miss school.
"Mom and dad say school is more important than any video, so it must
come first. They're right, I guess, but I can't wait to go to
Tennessee and meet him (Volk). It will be great to work with him."
While Katey continues school and work on more videos, Bruce, Donna
and the Case Management Team continue to prepare for court. It is
arguably the most important civil rights case in Canadian history,
and the group takes their task seriously.
Legal preparation is well underway, but one outstanding issue is
still what it has been from the start: how to pay for it.
A Constitutional trial is very expensive. The government seized the
Montague family home under the "Proceeds of Crime" Act shortly after
Bruce's arrest, effectively stopping them from using the equity in
their home to finance this case.
While the Montague team's fund-raising efforts have done well, there
is a long way to go. This is the very first stage of proceedings
with two levels of appeal before the Supreme Court. Gun owners and
civil rights advocates across Canada continue to donate generously to
the legal defense fund, but more money is needed to fight this
case. Donations can be made to the Bruce Montague Scrap C-68 Fund,
c/o Roger Nordlund, Trustee, RR#2, Site 211, Box 7, Dryden, Ontario, P8N 2Y5.
The Crown appears determined to steamroller the Montague
family. While the Constitutional Challenge will be heard on October
22, the government is proceeding as though the Charter issues are
already decided. Bruce Montague's criminal trial for violating the
Firearms Act is scheduled to proceed on November 13, long before a
decision is expected in the Constitutional trial.
If you live in northwestern Ontario please come out to show your
support for the case that will affect every gun owner in Canada.
(Legal gun owners, that is. The illegal ones will always have guns,
despite whatever laws Ottawa invokes.)
The Constitutional Challenge of Canada's Firearms Act will take place
October 22, 2007 in the Kenora Courthouse in Kenora, Ontario. Bruce
and Donna Montague look forward to seeing you all there.
Yours in Liberty,
Christopher di Armani
Check out the latest from Katey Montague at
DISCLAIMER: BruceMontague.ca is maintained by friends and
supporters of Bruce Montague.
It is NOT an official mouth-piece for Bruce
Montague's legal defense.