It's almost Christmas time, and looks like Bruce will be spending the season in jail.
Two ways you can provide a little encouragement:
1. Send Bruce a Christmas card:
2. Help out with Bruce's dwindling defense fund.
The outstanding constitutional issue the Montagues are fighting is whether the government can take all your property after you're convicted of peaceful firearms-related offenses. http://www.brucemontague.ca/html/0006.html#donate
Since our last update we have several small news-bytes:
1. Judge Wright has granted the Montagues the opportunity to challenge the section of the criminal code (491) which requires an automatic forfeiture of firearms and ammunition seized by police, and has ordered a trial in May 2011 to determine whether the Montagues will lose the approx $100,000 worth personal property, business inventory, and firearms seized by the OPP in 2004. The notice of Constitutional Issue is ready to be filed for the Dec 15, 2010 deadline.
2. Bruce's parole application has been submitted and interviews were completed mid November; apparently Donna will get 48 hours notice of the hearing. Although Bruce is a prime candidate for early parole, the process seems to be arbitrary and we don't know what to expect. The earliest possible parole date is Jan 3rd, but it's at the discretion of the parole officer to determine if and when Bruce gets a hearing. If early parole is not granted, automatic parole will occur after two thirds of the sentence is served in early June 2011.
3. A pre-trial date is set for Jan 18, 2011 regarding the civil forfeiture of the Montague's home. A big thanks to many of you who have written to and met with your MPPs. Let's keep up the pressure, and make sure to spread the word so other citizens of Canada know what the Ontario government is up to.
We've enclosed some excerpts of a very pointed letter sent by MPP Randy Hillier to Ontario Attorney General, Chris Bentley.
Merry Christmas to all.
Donna and the Case Management Team
PS. Read Letter to Chris Bentley dated November 10, 2010 »
DISCLAIMER: BruceMontague.ca is maintained by friends and
supporters of Bruce Montague.
It is NOT an official mouth-piece for Bruce
Montague's legal defense.